ICA's sustainability work
ICA Gruppen is very aware that it has a responsibility from field to fork. Sustainability work is a strategic priority and is integrated into all of the Group’s operations. This builds confidence in the community and contributes to long-term profitability.
ICA Gruppen is a sustainable company with a solid financial footing, a commitment to the environment and strong social engagement. Achieving this requires targeted work to continually develop the Group as a responsible operator. This work rests on strong shared values and a belief that every link in the chain is important, from supplier to employee and customer.
Sustainability work is important in both the short and the long term. The core issue is how the supply of food resources can be secured in the future. Action must be taken today in order to ensure there is sufficient produce for the coming years.
It is also important that ICA acts responsibly in order to win customer confidence. Every two years a customer survey is carried out on sustainability issues in the retail trade in ICA’s five markets. The results of the latest survey show that customers still attach most importance to the Group being open, honest and transparent.
For the employees it is important that ICA is an employer that shoulders its responsibilities. This is true of both current and future employees.
Sustainability work is also important for achieving long-term profitability. Working on sustainability issues is essential to the Group's long-term survival.
ICA's sustainability goals
- Reduce the Group’s direct greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by 2020 compared to 2006
- 100% of ICA’s corporate brand 1 suppliers in high-risk countries 2 will be socially audited
- 80% of ICA’s corporate brand1 food suppliers will be quality certified 3
See also Goals and outcomes.
1 Corporate brands essentially mean private label goods.
2 High-risk countries are as defined by the UN Human Development Index and Economic Security Index (UNDP).
3 In accordance with the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
ICA’s sustainable product range
ICA supplies its stores with brand name products as well as private label products. The first private label was launched back in 1922. Today, the following lines are an important part of the Group's sustainability work:
- "ICA Gott liv”, a line of healthy options.
- "ICA I love eco”, the organic product line.
- "ICA Skona”, an environmentally focused line, including detergents and cleaning products.
- ICA’s private labels with ethical labels are clearly marked so that customers can easily find them (UTZ, Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade).