Comment from SVP CR
ICA has been working for years with sustainability issues, and our work rests on strong shared values and a belief that every link in the chain is important, from supplier to employee and customer.
Our corporate strategy is based on six long-term strategic themes, which together provide a foundation for all of ICA Gruppen’s operations. One of these themes is excelling in corporate responsibility. This is to be reflected in everything we do.
This means that we are constantly working to raise the level of our sustainability work by taking a lead on important issues in the areas of the environment, quality, health, ethical trade and social commitment. This strengthens us as company, and our hope is to inspire others and create value for our customers and for society as a whole.
To shoulder our responsibility we work on sustainability in a number of areas:
- Customers should feel safe shopping at ICA. Every product the Group sells should meet the requirements set by the Group itself and by the market, for example as regards traceability and origin labelling. We do this by means of regular supplier audits and by reviewing product contents and labelling. Keeping everything in good order is important.
- We want decent conditions in places where we source our corporate brands. That is why we are working to have all factories that produce our corporate brands in high-risk countries socially audited. It is also important to us to be able to offer our customers products with ethical labels.
- Environmental issues are integrated into the everyday work in stores, logistics and offices. In 2013 a project called ICA Retailers for the Environment was launched in Sweden. This is a tool that supports our stores in working on environmental matters in order to further reduce our environmental impact.
- We also consider it important to help our customers achieve a healthy lifestyle. Over the year we have tried to make our customers aware of the importance of eating fruit and vegetables, for example through the Take a Green Year campaign in Sweden.
Sustainability work is a continual process and it is important to take a long-term view. This means that we are already considering how external factors such as climate change will affect the grocery retail sector and ICA. One of the Group’s ten strategic priorities for 2014 is to support customers’ sustainable choices, and naturally we will be focusing on this over the coming months. We will also be working on excelling in corporate responsibility.
Kerstin Lindvall, SVP Corporate Responsibility
Important events 2013
- Certification of the Asian sourcing operations to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Launch of the environmental support ICA Retailers for the Environment.
- Continued work with audits, traceability checks and reviewing product content and labelling.
- Implementation of the Take a Green Year campaign in Sweden.
ICA Gruppen's Sustainability Report follows the latest version of the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) guidelines, G4. It has been reviewed by a third party and is in accordance with the level Core. It covers all significant principles in the UN’s Global Compact and describes corporate responsibility issues of interest to the Group's stakeholders.
The report covers all companies in ICA Gruppen, except the portfolio companies. For boundaries and measurement and calculation methods, see About the Sustainability Report.